Monday 22 November 2010

In the news today

Today's breakfast consisted of a bowl of Special K, two bananas and another round of swearing abuse at my TV because of the latest crazy idea the nanny state are planning to enforce upon people.

It again involves smokers. Now, I would like to point out that I don't smoke. I have never smoked and I never will. I think it is the most pointless way to waste money. And it kills you.

Nevertheless, the do-gooders have managed to get smoking banned in public places, they've managed to force me to put a "no smoking" sign in my office even though nobody who works here smokes, they have managed to get tobacco advertising banned, they've increased the minimum age for smoking, they've added so much tax that only about two percent of the cost is actually the product, they have also forced all tobacco companies to put a big warning on all their packets telling people they will get cancer if they buy their product.

So what is this latest idea to try and make the world a smoke-free place? They think they will stop everybody from smoking if they force all tobacco companies to remove their branding from the packets and just have brown boxes.

I'm sorry but if having a warning on the box telling people they will die if they open it doesn't deter people, I really don't think replacing their brand with a brown wrapper is going to do much. It would be a bit like trying to stop me masturbating over pictures of Keira Knightly by covering her legs up.

The fact of the matter is that the government, despite publicly backing such idiotic schemes, wants people to continue smoking because that is where they earn most of their money. If everybody stopped smoking how would they be able to waste the tax payers' money? They would have to raise tax on everything else!

No comments:

Post a Comment